Miami Hurricanes head coach Al Golden held his weekly press conference today. For 25 minutes Golden addressed what/who to expect when the ‘Canes travel to Boston College.
Here are some of the issues that Golden touched upon:
* Golden stated that he doesn’t mind opening the season with a conference game. Said Golden, “Right now we are playing Boston College and that is the way it is. Miami has traditionally not played an easy game to open the season.”
* Golden addressed how the Boston College that they are opening with is different than the team that they closed against last year: “I think they are a different team and we are a completely different team. They have a new offensive coordinator, which is something that we have to prepare for. The reality is, last years game didn’t have any bearing.”
* According to Golden, QB Stephen Morris has stepped up as a leader. “A lot of guys, when they have adversity, go into a shell. But I think he [Morris] went the other way. He made himself vulnerable and built relationships with the other guys on the team. I am excited to see him play.” Golden also addressed the process of redshirting quarterbacks and how he would like to do so in order for them to learn the game.
* Golden would like to see the defense create more turnovers this season. “[Last year] we didn’t get them. We had to sit back a lot, more than we wanted to. We couldn’t attack as much…we have to do a better job with that.”
* Golden said that 14-15 freshmen will see the field vs. Boston College. Due to the large amount of youngsters getting the nod, he expects to see where his team stands following Saturday. “We are going to learn a lot about whether these guys can hold it together and play with poise and trust their technique. A lot of that can erode with nerves and anxiety.”
* Golden addressed the role of Anthony Chickillo and him needing to be more vocal. “If you have leadership qualities and you exhibit them everyday, I think you should lead. We need more guys to lead.”
* According to Golden, Raphael Kirby had his cast removed today. Golden is hopeful that Kirby will be able to return at some point this season. OL Seantrel Henderson will not travel with the team to Boston College. Freshman RT Ereck Flowers will start in place of Henderson. DT Curtis Porter (appendectomy) will be inactive vs. Boston College and LB Gionni Paul will be available.
* In regards to Miami’s running game, Golden does not expect “[Duke] Johnson to get as many touches as Mike James and Eduardo Clements.” However, we can expect to see all four running backs to get touches.
* Freshman QB Preston Dewey will be listed as the number three quarterback. It is likely that QB Gray Crow will be redshirted.
* DT Luther Robsinson is likely to start vs. Boston College.
* According to Golden, players will still battle for starting spots up through Wednesday’s practice, including wide receiver, linebacker and safety. Following Wednesday’s practice Golden will name the starters.