According to Al Golden, there are several walk-on athletes whom he expects to contribute on special teams this year. Some you may have heard of, others you may have not. Let’s meet them, shall we.
* LB Nantambu-Akil Fentress, the 5-9, 205-pound sophomore linebacker comes from Nashville, Tennessee. In 2011, Fentress saw action in seven Miami games playing on special teams. In high school he was elected as the team captain during his senior year; he is a two-time All-Region honoree; as a running back Fentress averaged 5.9 yards per carry in his senior season; he lettered in baseball; he also participated in the East-West All Star Game.
* WR Garrett Kidd, Kidd is a 6-2, 186-pound redshirt freshman from Midland, Michigan. During 2011 Kidd participated on the ‘Canes scout team; he earned Scout Team Player of the Week honors twice; in high school Kidd lettered two years in lacrosse.
* RB Brandon Yosha, Yosha is a 6-0, 183-pound freshman running back from Carmel, Indiana. In high school Yosha was voted a four-time Player of the Week for his 4-A state championship team.
* RB Darris Hughes, the 5-10, 195-pound Hughes is a sophomore from Clewiston. He was a first-team All-State player in high school.
* Long Snapper Sean McNally, McNally is a 5-10, 205-pound redshirt junior from Bakersfield, California. As a junior he participated on the ‘Canes scout team. At Bakersfield College, McNally played for Jeff Chudy; he was named the 2010 Special Teams Player of the Year; voted to the 2010 California All-Academic Team; ranked number one JUCO long snapper by Khol’s Kicking; current punter Dalton Potts also attended Bakerfield College.