With NFL football officially at a start, let’s take a look at what’s going on with our pro ‘Canes.
* As many of you may know, former UM DB Demarcus Van Dyke was released by the Oakland Raiders, however, he didn’t stay unemployed for long. He was picked up by the Pittsburgh Steelers and is expected to try to work his way into the rotation. In 2011, Van Dyke ran a 4.28 40 at the NFL combine. He was picked in the third round by the Raiders.
* TE Kellen Winslow was released by the Seattle Seahawks last week. The New England Patriots showed some interest in Winslow, but it was reported that he failed his physical. As reported by Pro Canes, “Winslow did not fail his physical with the New England Patriots…The Patriots were aware of the questions about his knees, but they did not fail him on his physical.” Winslow was due to make $3.3 million in 2012 had he been signed by the season opener.
* S Brandon Merriweather suffered a knee injury that will cause him to miss 2-4 weeks. The former ‘Cane sprained two ligaments in his left knee and injured the same knee in the Redskins second preseason game vs. Chicago. Merriweather, who suffered the injury during practice, “was practicing at 100 percent,” said head coach Mike Shanahan. “It was a freak accident.”
* Texans WR Andre Johnson shredded the Dolphins defense on Sunday racking up eight catches for 118 yards and one touchdown.
* Saints TE Jimmy Graham continued his NFL dominance hauling in six catches for 85 yards and one touchdown. Graham scored on a 20-yard pass from QB Drew Brees.
* Reggie Wayne led the Colts receivers with nine receptions for 135 yards vs. the Chicago Bears.
* Titans LB Colin McCarthy was reportedly seen wearing a boot on his right foot but sources say that he will be okay. New England defeated Tennessee 34-13.
* Niners RB Frank Gore had a big day vs. Green Bay. The former UM RB had 16 carries for 112 yards and one touchdown. Gore scored on a 23-yard run in the fourth quarter.
* 6-foot-8 Calais Campbell deflected a 50-yard field goal try vs. Seattle, his sixth career block. Campbell blocked three field goals in 2011.
* RB Willis McGahee led the Broncos running backs with 16 carries for 64 yards. QB Peyton Manning hit McGahee on a two-point conversion giving the Broncos a 22-19 lead over the Steelers.
* In tonight’s double-header, the Miami Hurricanes will have a number of alums playing. TE Richard Gordon (Oakland), LB Ray Lewis (Baltimore), RB Damien Berry (Baltimore, IR), S Ed Reed (Baltimore), T Bryant McKinnie (Baltimore) and WR Tommy Streeter (Baltimore, IR) will all be reppin’ the U.