Canes Warning recently had the opportunity to chat with Smyrna, TN. 2015 DB DJ Williams. Read on to see what this up and comer had to say about his recruitment.
- Class: 2015
- Position: DB
- Height: 5’10”
- Weight: 160 lbs.
- 40: 4.6 seconds
Interests, per Rivals
- Georgia Tech
- Miami (FL.)
- Mississippi St.
Canes Warning: So DJ, what are you looking for in a school?
- DJ Williams: I’m looking at academics and for coaches who will give me an early chance. But, mostly academics because I’m going to need something to fall back on when football is over.
CW: What are your strengths/areas you would like to improve in your game?
- DJW: I want to get bigger by my senior year and I know that that will happen with the weight program and the coaches that we have going on at Smyrna (TN.) High School.
CW: Growing up, who were some athletes that you idolized?
- DJW: Growing up, I idolized Muhammad Ali and even though I wasn’t old enough to see him box live, I know that every time that he got hit he got right back up ready to go and that keeps me motivated on and off of the field.
CW: If you weren’t playing football, what do you think you would be doing, either now or in the future?
- DJW: If I wasn’t playing football I really don’t know what I would be doing right now, honestly. But I know that I’m going to college for either education/coaching or business. I would like to coach or own my own business.
CW: What NFL player would you say that you most resemble on the field?
- DJW: I compare my game to Cortland Finnegan. I can cover in man and zone but my strength is my aggressiveness and open field tackling.
CW: Do you plan on attending any camps this summer? If so, which ones?
- DJW: I got invited to the Rivals/Under Armour camp in Birmingham, AL scheduled for April. I also got invited to the Rivals VTO camp this weekend in Birmingham so I will be in attendance for those two for sure. As far as summer, my dad and I have a schedule of camps and we will be attending camps basically every weekend this summer. Actually, I plan on doing so many camps that I won’t be able to play AAU basketball this summer. I’m really looking forward to all of the camps and blessings that God has in store for me.
CW: What conference do you see yourself playing in?
- DJW: I could see myself playing in any D-1 conference, it really doesn’t mater.
CW: Lastly, what is one thing that people don’t know about you?
- DJW: People don’t know how much work I put in by myself to be successful — also, I’m unbeatable in 2K13 on Xbox, haha.
Williams is an aggressive cornerback who has a nose for finding the football. He is able to wrap up well in the open field and isn’t afraid to go for the knockout if given the opportunity. Williams shows good instincts, especially when it comes to breaking on the ball.
As Williams get older, expect the D-1 offers to begin rolling in.
- 54 tackles
- Four interceptions
- 3.3 GPA
To watch DJ Williams’ sophomore highlights, click here.