Each year the Maxwell Football Club recognizes the college football player of the year. Recently released was the 2013 watch list which featured Miami Hurricanes’ RB Duke Johnson and QB Stephen Morris.
USA Today ranked the top 76 based on likelihood of winning the award. Below are the top 15.
- 1. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
- 2. DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
- 3. QB AJ McCarron, Alabama
- 4. QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
- 5. QB Braxton Miller, Ohio State
- 6. WR Marquise Lee, USC
- 7. RB TJ Yeldon, Alabama
- 8. QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon
- 9. QB Tajh Boyd, Clemson
- 10. RB Todd Gurley, Georgia
- 11. RB De’Anthony Thomas, Oregon
- 12. QB Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois
- 13. QB Aaron Murray, Georgia
- 14. QB Devin Gardner, Michigan
- 15. QB Taylor Martinez, Nebraska
- 32. RB Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
- 50. QB Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.)
For those wondering, the last Miami Hurricane to win the Maxwell award was QB Ken Dorsey in 2001. Dorsey finished 3rd that year in the Heisman voting and 5th in 2002.
To view the complete Maxwell Award watch list, click here.