Miami football offers Texas State transfer DT Devon Sears Jr.

Oct 30, 2021; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 30, 2021; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA; Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports /

Texas State transfer defensive tackle Devon Sears Jr. tweeted on Friday morning that he received an offer from the Miami football program via defensive line coach Joe Salave’a. Sears had 15 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack and two pass breakups for Texas State in 2022. Pro Football Focus named Sears the ninth-best DL transfer.

PFF said of SearsAfter transferring in from a junior college in 2021, Sears impressed in his first year of action for Texas State. The redshirt sophomore was one of only 11 Group of Five interior defensive linemen to rank inside the top 25 in both pass-rushing and run-defense grades. 

Thomas Gore who committed to the Miami football program from Georgia State this week was named the best 2023 transfer DL. The On3 prediction machine projects Marshall as the leader for Sears with a 53.3 percent chance to sign him and Arizona State second at 46.7 percent. That doesn’t leave room for other programs.

Sears will have two years of eligblity remaining. Mario Cristobal mentioned in his post Early Signing Day press conference on Wednesday that Miami will focus on DL and outside wide receivers through the transfer portal and during the traditional National Signing Day in February.

In addition to Gore, Miami has signed transfers, cornerback Davonte Brown from Central Florida, linebacker Francisco Muigoa from Washington State and offensive lineman Javion Cohen from Alabama. Brown and Mauigoa join their brothers Damari and Francis who signed with the Miami football program in the Class of 2023.

Miami offering Sears could give them an advantage over Arizona State and Marshall. Arizona State hired former Florida State and Oregon offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham as their new head coach. If Sears wants to play for a Power Five program that would give Miami an advantage over Marshall.

Miami adds Georgia State transfer DT Thomas Gore. dark. Next

Sears transferred to Texas State from Ellsworth Junior College in Iowa. In the 247 Sports junior college rankings, Sears was the 55th player overall, 11th DL and fifth player out of Michigan. Sears is a quick DL at 6’3, 280 pounds per Allen Trieu of 247 Sports. Sears was at one time commited to Houston.