Miami to welcome 5-star point guard in Class of 2026 for official visit

Five-star point guard Dylan Mingo will take an official visit to Miami this weekend.
SLAM Summer Classic 2025
SLAM Summer Classic 2025 | Ishika Samant/GettyImages

Five-star point guard Dylan Mingo, one of the headliners of the 2026 class, will take an official visit to Miami this weekend, giving first-year head coach Jai Lucas a shot at the Long Island Lutheran (NY) star as the Hurricanes ramp up fall recruiting. Mingo told Rivals he’ll be on campus in Coral Gables, a trip reported Wednesday by recruiting insider Joe Tipton.

Mingo, a 6-foot-5 floor general with length and pace, is ranked No. 5 nationally in the Rivals Industry Rankings and sits as the No. 1 point guard and the top player in New York. He lists offers from UConn, Alabama, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Virginia, Baylor, NC State and others. This weekend’s trip to Miami will be his second official visit after a stop at Washington earlier this month.

247Sports’ Composite slots Mingo No. 7 overall in the 2026 cycle and No. 1 in New York, with Miami listed for an Aug. 30 official visit. ESPN’s rankings also place him in the top 10 nationally. Mingo has said he’s prioritizing a strong relationship with the head coach, a winning program and a path to play as a freshman.

For EYBL Scholastic (Long Island Lutheran, 2024–25), Mingo played in 16 games averaging 13.3 PPG on 44.2% FG shooting with a 75.3% mark from the line. For Nike EYBL (PSA Cardinals 17U, 2025 season), he was named First Team All-Circuit and posted 17.8 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 2.0 SPG across the full EYBL season.

The visit is a timely test for Lucas, whom Miami named head coach on March 6 with a mandate to retool the roster and lean into his reputation as an elite recruiter after stints at Kentucky and Duke. The Hurricanes have pushed to get top-50 talent on campus since his hire and landing Mingo would mark a resounding statement.